My Blog List

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

We are now officially settled in Chicago. We flew a private jet last Wednesday. Not exactly the way I had envisioned a private jet on my bucket list but a check mark is a check mark? Private jet is officially off the bucket list. This picture to the left is of Lauren tapping the entrance to the plane. I didn't even see her do it until I looked at the photo. She is definitely aware of more than we give her credit for.

RIC (rehab institute of Chicago) is very impressive. They have a very aggressive approach which I love. If Lauren has any chance at a full recovery it is RIC that can get her there. We should have a meeting at the end of the week with all the doctors and therapists involved in what their goals and expectations are. I am very nervous about this meeting. It is much easier to just believe she will be just fine. Logically I understand that I must face the facts and learn what the experts can tell me based on her CT scans, MRI's and progress thus far.Many areas of her brain have been damaged and this journey will not be easy.

That is what my head tells me, my heart on the other hand tells me that my girl will fight her butt off until she is better and back to her old life.

She has already made great improvements. She is unable to communicate the way she used to but little by little she is showing more awareness to her surroundings.They tell me this is normal and I am trying to be really patient. I am learning about traumatic brain injuries, "TBI"  I am trying not to compare our situation to every other TBI on record. The Murphy's are a competitive bunch and we of course expect our TBI story to be the quickest most complete recovery in the history of recoveries.....Is that too much to ask?

I am adapting to single life in Chi town. I have my own apartment and I walk to and from RIC every day. I pass Michigan Ave  twice a day and have not spent any money....okay, I can't lie... very little money. Dave should be really proud of me.

 No worries, once I am a little more comfortable with all the staff here, I will leave Lauren for a while and  I will be doing some much needed retail therapy. I don't think God would have sent Lauren to a rehab center so close to Michigan Ave if he didn't want me to shop? It's a sign from God. I just know it!!!!!

It is kind of strange coming home to an empty apartment every night. I miss all the Murphy chaos but it is nice to clear my head. I am also enjoying my alone time with Lauren.I know that once she recovers I will have to set her free back in the world. This will be tough for me as I want to keep her close and protect her from all the worlds dangers.

This goes against my parenting philosophies. I have raised my kids to be strong and independent and to go out in this world and get everything they ever wanted and more. This Murphy tenacity is what will get Lauren back on track and I will once again have to shove her out of the nest.

This journey has been tough  to date but we have soldiered through. I am so proud of my husband and son and daughters. They all have their own way to handle things. Each of them grieves differently but all of them come together to help the one who is having the roughest time.  The love they have for one another is very clear and is a proud feeling for a mom. Don't get me wrong, Shannon still berates Kelsey as if she is a complete idiot but there are little flashes of tenderness that shine through as well. We can't expect too many miracles can we?

2 comments:

Mary Kay said...

I'm not sure that we can ever expect too many miracles. I also want you to know that we continue to pray for Laureen, her medical team and her family.

If you get a chance, read the caringbridge site for our friend Cory Remsburg who suffered a TBI in Afghanistan. His is a remarkable story and I'm sure Lauren will do just as well if not better!!!

MK


Mary Kay said...

Love your updates and can empathize with wanting to protect the children. If you get a chance, read Cory Remsburg's caringbridge site. He is a friend of ours who suffered a TBI and is doing amazingly. I'm sure that Lauren will progress as well, if not better. It just takes a lot of time.
MK