My Blog List

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Oh how I love the sounds of back to school. Not the pitter patter of little feet or the hustle and bustle of a house full of energy. No, in my house it is waking up to the sound of Shannon's shrill voice screaming at Kelsey. Kelsey is president of her class this year and has to be at school early several days. Shannon is less than thrilled about getting to school at 6:30 on her first day of Senior year.

When Kelsey told her about all the days that required getting to school early this year for student council, Shannon's head almost exploded. I think the conversation kind of went like; "Are you kidding me, I have to be at school at 6:00 AM for St. Nicks day? I don't even like freaking candy canes. I am not driving you." We are in for a long school year.

Our refrigerator broke a few weeks ago. It has been broken for a while actually. For the past few months everything in the fridge would freeze no matter how low we had the temperature control. Our milk and lemonade would be a block of ice. Making a fried egg was tough when the egg was an ice cube. Then suddenly our ice maker motor decided to go out as well. We decided it wasn't worth the investment to fix both problems. We have already paid $300 to repair this fridge once. I would get home from work to a house full of dehydrated kids. They would look at me as if I left them on a deserted island. They would have to thaw out the pitcher of lemonade for a half hour in order to get two drops of liquid. Their survival skills are less than stellar.

Dave and I bought a new fridge this week. It was being delivered yesterday. I left work a little earlier than usual so I could rush home to see my new fridge. I thought to myself, "What does that say about my parenting, when I rush home to see my new fridge but not my children?" Then I remembered my children are all crazy and I deserve a little excitement in life, even if it is just a new refrigerator. I will soon clutter it up with all the wonderful school papers that my perfect kids will bring home. We put the old fridge in the garage. We have lots of room for frozen foods, the refrigerator side as well as the freezer. Heck I may even put Shannon in there to help cool her off in the morning. (is that against the law?)

No comments: