My Blog List

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Last night school was cancelled pretty early so the kids were excited. Erin asked if I was planning on going to work. I told her I was going to try. She said "I don't want you to get hurt mom." I said "Aww, you really do love me Erin." She said "actually we just had a really good dinner tonight (chicken and dumplings) and I don't know how we would eat if something would happen to you!!

Dave woke me up this morning and asked if I was going in to work. I got up and looked at the snow covered street and decided to pull the covers up over my head and go back to bed. He said "if your not going anywhere, do you mind if I don't shovel the driveway until after work?" I said no that's fine, I'm good. Once the kids started waking up I realized that going in to work wasn't such a bad idea. I started getting ready and went out to start my van. Oh why did I let Dave off so easy this morning. I think I can count on one hand how many times I have cleaned snow off my car. My dad always did it when I was young (except for the time that I snuck the car out in the middle of a snow storm when I was 16 and got stuck in the snow) and Dave took over when we got married. I don't own snow boots so I was outside in dress pants and heels cleaning off my van with a broom. I went inside and changed into tennis shoes and finished dusting off the van. I finally got to work around noon, the roads were pretty clear by that time. I don't think the people behind me on the highway appreciated all the snow from the roof of my huge van blowing all over them. My kids only called me 12 times today (that includes Dave) I finally left my office around 5:3o pm. When I got out to the parking lot, my windshield was covered with a foot of snow. All the remaining snow on the roof of the van melted and slid onto the windshield. I started the van and looked for something that I could use for an ice scraper. I improvised and used a Vitamin Water Bottle to shovel the snow off. Thank God my van is always a mess so I could find something to use. Of course when I got home by 6:00 the house was spotless and dinner was on the table. HA Ha just kidding, breakfast was actually still on the table. I left to go to my neighbor's house down the street to get my haircut. Ryan showed up at my neighbors 45 minutes later, he missed me. When we left to go home, I asked "where is your coat?" He said , I didn't need one, it's not cold." There is 6 inches of snow on the ground, I wouldn't exactly call that a heat wave. We got to the end of the driveway and he bent down and picked up his unicycle. I said, "did you seriously ride your unicycle down here in the snow with no coat, no gloves in the snow and ice?" I lovingly (OK, not so lovingly) instructed him to carry his unicycle home and to not ride it in the house until he washes his wheel. Finally at 8:45 after some gentle prodding from their loving mother, Kelsey loaded the dishwasher and Shannon got the dripping wet towel and wet clothes off the hardwood floor. I ended my evening making a gourmet pot of Ramen noodles for dinner. I would have given them my first choice for dinner, cereal but we are out of milk. I asked Ryan and Maggie if either one of them had brushed their teeth today? I could tell by the looks on their faces what the answer was. I told them I was going to start removing their teeth one by one because they don't deserve them. Ryan said "OK but can you please start with the baby teeth." I should seriously consider writing a parenting book.

No comments: