My Blog List

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Oil in Gulf Shores : (


Alabama was quite the little adventure. We had to find a restaurant to order food considering we had no car. We decided on pizza, I took a shower so I could try and scrub all the remaining oil off my old dry cracked feet from the tar balls on the beach. I assumed that by the time I was finished the food would be ordered. I of course forgot that the two family members left in charge of ordering food are not capable of doing anything for themselves. They would starve if they had to actually do something for themselves. I ordered, pizza, salad, breadsticks and a big chocolate chip cookie. I figured the best way to forget about the fact that I was stranded in Alabama was to eat like a pig.




Erin made herself a makeshift plate out of the top of the styrofoam salad container. Erin is a bit of a pig so her plate was full, she took one step and dropped the whole contents on the floor, right on top of my dirty clothes. Problem being I only packed one bra for my trip and now it was full of marinara sauce. I decided to worry about that later.




The next morning we had to check out by 11 or we had to pay for an extra night. The tow truck didn't show up until 10 so we were essentially homeless until the van was fixed. Erin needed a tampon and apparently Alabama doesn't have tampon dispensers in public bathrooms. I had packed my running shoes as well as my poise pads (hazard of running after giving birth 400 times) in case I decided to exercise on our trip (I didn't) I figured a poise pad would have to hold her over for a while. She hung out at the pool for a while while we were waiting on the van to get fixed. Finally she decided that she really needed a tampon. We asked at the front desk where the nearest convenience store was and we decided to walk. What else did we have to do? Erin used the outside shower to rinse the sand off the back of her legs. Unfortunately for her the water from the shower all absorbed into her old lady diaper.




So here we are, Dave in his swim trunks and a t shirt, me in my one piece and a pair of shorts and Erin in her itty bitty black bikini with an adult diaper that makes her look like she has a penis waking down an Alabama street in search of a tampon. We walked almost 2 miles before we finally found a Walgreens. Dave didn't want to go in because he was carrying two hotel towels and he thought he looked weird. Hello, your daughter is wearing a tiny bikini and she kind of looks like a cross dresser right now, no one will think you look weird because you are carrying towels. Erin did get several honks on the way back, we were wondering what made us think it was a good idea to head out without more clothes? Our luggage was all behind the front desk and we didn't want to bother anyone. That was smart!!




We hung out at the pool until we got the call that our van was done. Yeah hurray!! We were on our way home by 4:00, I was still in my swimsuit and a pair of shorts and changed in a gas station on the road. I didn't have a bra considering it was full of marinara sauce so I just went without. We stopped somewhere in Mississippi and got a hotel and went looking for a place to eat. Dave was ready to have a cow, we decided to eat at a place called The Huddle House and Dave was dying that I wasn't wearing a bra, I thought, "are you kidding me, I am the only one in here with all my teeth, a bra would make me overdressed." We finally made it home on Thursday around 5:00 pm, Maggie was waiting for us in the driveway and couldn't wait to show us the new string bikini underwear that her big sister bought her : (

No comments: