My Blog List

Friday, July 30, 2010

So I just had my dreaded yearly GYN exam. I left work early to go home and shave my legs, because I am sure my Doctor cares if my legs are shaved. When I arrived at his office I decided to leave my phone in the car. Whenever I put it to silent I always forget to change it back and I miss a zillion calls. (all of which I'm sure are important) The girls at the front desk told me he was really behind. I sat there for over an hour looking at all the super young really pregnant girls, I could be their mother. Some of them had their toddlers and babies with them. Sitting there I realized #1 I am old and #2 I am thankful that I am not dealing with a toddler other than the one with slobbery hands that doesn't belong to me that keeps touching my freshly shaved legs. There was no clock in the waiting room so I was afraid it was getting late, Ryan had a 6:00 baseball game and I needed to coordinate who was getting him and who would watch Maggie, everyone was scattered tonight.

They finally called my name and brought me to a room where I got to wear the lovely paper skirt for the next half hour waiting for my Doctor. I didn't have an annoying toddler to annoy me anymore so I was forced to read all the posters hanging on the walls. I learned about, HPV, Herpes, Pregnancy and child birth, what to expect at an Ob/Gyn exam and several forms of birth control. I realized the only reading material that actually applied to me while sitting in that cold office was the bone density model across from me that showed the effect of osteoporosis.

My Doctor finally arrived and apologized for being late. We talked for a while and I asked him for a referral for a bladder surgeon so I can run without feeling like I belong in a geriatric ward. He told me that the Urologist will most likely want to remove my Uterus. My first thought was, "good riddance uterus, don't let the door hit you on the way out!" I mean come on, I think it has served it's purpose. Now that my brain has had time to process this, I am thinking, should I really go through two procedures so I can run without peeing on myself. Do I really like running anyway?? Then I thought, who would take care of me post op?? Dave would be great for the first 15 minutes, "Can I get you anything punkin?" Then he would go back to taking over the remote and napping. I go see the urologist the second week of August so I will decide then. I am kind of surprised that I am a little more attached to my uterus than I thought I would be. My best friend who has 6 kids and three of them are under three told me, "Oh God, don't even hesitate. If that was me, I would take a knife and rip out my uterus myself." I guess that is the difference between a mother with three kids in diapers vs a mother who is getting ready to drop her baby off in Mobile Alabama for college. : )

Speaking of which, little Miss Erin leaves next weekend, she has decided to spend every waking moment with her friends. She doesn't know how she will ever survive without her friends. (Never mind the women who's bladder you helped destroy.) Lauren is going to the lake with Mike's family for the weekend. It has become a yearly tradition that she goes every year with several dozen of my fabulous chocolate chip cookies. I believe it is time that she learns to make them herself. Every time she tries she forgets an ingredient and screws something up. I realized it is easier to stay up until midnight making them myself, vs watching her incompetence in the kitchen. She got home around 9:30,the same time I finally made it home after Ryan's baseball game and Kelsey's soccer party. Making cookies at 9:30 was the last thing I wanted to do.

Lauren surprised me with a new Coach wallet. Wow, she does love me. I was talking to her about my possible surgery, her response was, "Oh God get rid of your uterus, why would you even think about it." I said "who will take care of me after surgery?" She said, "Good point, goods luck with that, I guess grandma." I feel so loved!!

No comments: