My Blog List

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Friday morning we had a bit of excitement. Dave was still out of town so I still had my big comfy king size bed all to myself. Maggie woke me up around 1:30 because she threw up. Of course she didn't make it to the toilet, that is one of the wonderful family traits that ALL of my children have inherited. I had her crawl in bed with me. A few hours later I woke up to my bed shaking. I was half asleep, it sounded like a hail storm outside and my deck sounded like it was falling off the back of the house. I was half asleep but it was pretty obvious that it was an earthquake. When the shaking stopped I thought about turning on the TV do see what it registered on the Richter scale. I decided between the vomit and the natural disaster that I was missing enough sleep, I rolled over and fell back asleep. Twenty minutes later the phone rang. I should have figured that Lauren would be calling. She has always been my kid that was afraid of tornadoes, thunder storms, fires and floods, it looks like we can put earthquakes on the list as well. She woke up in her dorm and her bed was shaking. She thought it was a tornado because it was so loud. She started screaming and ran out of her dorm and screamed for everyone to get out. It took her a while to realize she was running down the stairwell of her co-ed dorm in a tight t shirt and skimpy string bikini underwear. I am sure the boys are praying for more earthquakes. Her room mate's boyfriend is from California, he told her "way to go Lauren, lead the whole floor down to the lobby on the bottom floor during an earthquake." She was on tornado mode. She is still scared to death. I thought the earthquake was pretty cool, I'm weird.

We left the house pretty early this morning for Maggie's soccer game. Kelsey is out of town for a soccer tournament and Ryan was playing at a buddy's house after his baseball practice. Grandma took Erin to her soccer tournament and we left sleeping Shannon at home. Dave and I both left our cell phones at home. We met up with grandma at Erin's game. She said, "Shannon called looking for you." I used grandma's phone to call Shannon. She was mad because we left without her. I'm sorry, please forgive me for not assuming that my always crabby, less than pleasant 14 year old would want to get up at 8:00 on a Saturday and sit out in the rain on a cold cloudy day and watch soccer all day. I told her we would be home after the game. Later we decided to not go home in between Erin's games. I called Shannon to tell her we would be home around 5:00. That went over like a lead balloon. Apparently she had spent the majority of her day trying to figure out how the food in our refrigerator and pantry would jump out, cook itself, end up on a plate with a fork and show up in her lap on the couch with out anyone's help. She never did figure it out, I sure hope she survived her home alone day with out too many emotional scars. Once we returned home she asked to spend the night at her friends house. She crabbed and crabbed because we weren't home and then left as soon as we got there. When will I ever understand teenagers!!!!

No comments: