My Blog List

Sunday, February 10, 2008



Erin had her sophomore dance on Saturday. She looked very pretty and she had two bright and shiny new silver shoes and they were "strappy" just like the other ones that she already had. I won't even begin to try and understand her. She went with out a date because of course, she doesn't like the kid from her work anymore. Now that he likes her back, she is no longer interested.

Acceptance letters came in the mail on Saturday for all Catholic high schools in the St. Louis archdiocese. Shannon applied to Incarnate Word, the same school that Erin goes to and Sam and Lauren graduated from. She was at a basketball game when someone called to tell her that they got their acceptance letter and Shannon's name was on the list as a scholarship recipient. She called me to tell me and my first thought was "could there be another Shannon Murphy?" Don't get me wrong, she is a great kid but academically she is a bit on the lazy side. (just like her mother was) I opened Shannon's letter when she got it and learned that her scholarship was a faculty scholarship that was based on what she had written on her questionnaire about why she chose Incarnate. I was actually ready to kill her because she forgot about the questionnaiere and turned it in a week late. I am thinking that maybe they were tired of reading them and hers was at the top of the pile so they said "let's pick this application; I'm tired of reading them." The scholarship is named after a nun that used to be the assistant principal, they chose an applicant, based on what was written that exemplified Sr. Liz's loving spirit and ability to reach out to everyone." Now I'm not sure if Sr. Liz is still alive or not so I don't want to speak ill of her if she is no longer living, but Shannon is a bit on the crabby side, I asked Shannon if she would consider giving up being crabby for lent. She said no because that would be too hard. I am thinking Sr. Liz may have been the type of nun that beat kids with rulers if Shannon exemplifies her spirit. All kidding aside, the scholarship is for $1000.00. Not too shabby. We are really proud of our crabby, stubborn little red head.

We only had one game today, I went to church and came home and stayed in my warm house all day. It was freezing out today. I even got to take a two hour nap this afternoon. That never happens!! I cleaned up the kitchen today and found at least 6 drink box straw wrappers on the floor under the kitchen table. I guess the kids think that since they are clear that no one will notice them on the floor. Ryan told Dave that for lent he was going to try to be neater and pick up after himself better. Dave said "that's great, why don't you start by getting the crackers out of my bathroom sink."

No comments: