My Blog List

Thursday, September 13, 2007

The pre school bear

This is one of my earlier writings from a few years back. I figured some of the pre-school age mom's may appreciate it.

My week started with Lauren being grounded for lying to me about where she went after a school dance and Dave going to get her and a girlfriend at 1:00 in the morning. Of course she is grounded and has shared with me her wonderful words of sixteen year old wisdom that it was pointless to ground her because it wasn't like she would use the quiet time to do homework. She told me that she hates me and if she had a gun she would shoot me.


Ryan came home from school with Tommy the bear. Tommy is the school bear that gets to visit once a year maybe twice if your last name is at the front of the alphabet. He travels with a backpack,blanket,story book, pajamas and a notebook to write about all of his adventures with the family. Tommy got to go to the dentist and watch Ryan get a filling that I can't afford. Later that evening Dave took Tommy along to go ice skating with Ryan. I told Dave just to stick Tommy in Ryan's hockey bag so he wouldn't forget him. He said that he was going to keep him on the ledge by the bench so Tommy could watch them skate. I was beginning to get a little worried. Does my husband realize that Tommy can't really see???My boys arrived home around 9:30 pm. Dave was frantically rooting through Ryan's hockey bag. I asked what was wrong??He responded with "I forgot the stupid blankety blank bear. I giggled as he stormed out the door heading back to the ice rink. Luckily a security guard showed mercy on this poor pathetic grown man who forgot his Teddy Bear and unlocked the facility so he could bring Tommy home. I was asleep when they returned. When I woke up I saw the blankety blank bear on the dining room table. I had a few hours to write about Tommy's big adventure before Ryan's pre-school started, He was in the afternoon class. I decided not to share with the class that Daddy called Tommy a filthy name or that Lauren threatened to kill mommy. I started to gather his things to put back in the backpack for the return trip to school. I soon realized that Tommy's special blanket was missing. I frantically searched my mountains of clean as well as dirty laundry looking for the blankety blank blanket. I kept asking Ryan to re trace his steps and to think back to where he had it last. I might as well have been talking to a wall. After numerous prayers to St Anthony (the patron saint of lost things)I had given up. I started weighing my options. Do I lie to the teacher and say oops we left Tommy at home to buy a little more time to locate the blanket, do I replace the blanket and hope she doesn't notice that it is different, or do I simply come clean and tell her the shameful truth that I am so irresponsible that I can't even keep track of a stuffed bear and it's supplies and I am wondering why in the world has God entrusted me with seven children when I am struggling with a stuffed animal. My only hope is that the teacher runs out of dates before she gets back to our last name. Thank God our last name is not Adams. I don't want Tommy to sleep over anymore!!!

No comments: