My Blog List

Friday, November 23, 2007


I knew I had a little problem as I started to prepare my Thanksgiving turkey.I have been cooking Thanksgiving dinner for the last eight years. With the exception of the year that I cooked the Turkey upside down I have never had any problems. When I was basting the Turkey with vegetable oil I noticed that there was not a little popper thing that tells you when the turkey is done. I found an old meat thermometer, probably a wedding gift that I have never used but for some reason held on to all these years. When I took the turkey out of the oven it looked perfect. The directions stated that the turkey was done when you slice it and the juices run clear. When I sliced my turkey, there were no juices. I thought oh crap this is like a scene from Christmas Vacation. Hopefully there will be enough side dishes to keep everyone happy. Maggie had a little meltdown right before we ate. We left our old dining room set when we sold our old house. Our kitchen table seats eight. Maggie and Ryan had to sit at the counter on bar stools. Maggie was upset because she said that she will never get to sit at the big table because her sisters were all going to get married and their husbands will probably get her seat. Erin reminded us of the year that she had to give up her seat because Lauren's boyfriend brought a friend because his roommate from his hockey team didn't make it home to New Jersey so he came to our house with Mike. Ryan ate macaroni and a roll. He was a little upset that the macaroni was no longer piping hot when he was served. I had to throw it in the microwave. A few minutes later I heard "mom, my macaroni is too hot, will you blow on it?" He is lucky I have a good sense of humor. The turkey was actually OK but next year I will make sure I buy one with a built in thermometer!!

No comments: