My Blog List

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

This morning as we were walking out the door I said to Shannon "watch, Ryan will get in the car without St. Anthony." Sure enough Ryan made no move towards the kitchen to get him. I said "Ry, did you forget something."He smiled and got his soda bottle Saint off the counter. Dave is on vacation this week so I took his car today. Kelsey pushed Ryan as they were getting in the car. Most likely because she wanted to get first choice of seats. When she pushed him, St. Anthony's head fell off and rolled down the driveway. I had two choices, I could quickly change his report to John the Baptist and have him turn in the headless saint or I could chase after Anthony's head and run to the basement and find the hot glue gun. I decided to glue his head back on.

When Lauren was in second grade we had to make banners to put on the pews for First Communion. I painted a shamrock to symbolize the Holy Trinity and painted St. Patrick to symbolize our Irish heritage. I couldn't draw hands real well so I drew one holding a staff and put the other arm behind his back. Lauren saw it and said"where is his other arm?" I said "honey, St. Patrick only had one arm." I assumed she knew I was kidding. When she was in eighth grade, they were talking about St. Patrick, her teacher asked "does anyone know anything about St. Patrick?" I can just picture how fast her arm probably shot up with a pick me, pick me look on her face. Her teacher called on her and she said, "didn't St. Patrick only have one arm?" Her teacher said, umm no, I don't think so. She came home from school and said, "didn't you tell me St. Patrick only had one arm?" I said ,"I have no idea what you are talking about." She reminded me of the banner I made six years before that day and we all had a good laugh. That is how rumors get started, Sorry Patrick!!!

Erin and Shannon were both back at school today, they are feeling much better. Erin said she wished someone would have told her Monday night that Shannon was sick. Erin went straight to bed Monday after school, Shannon didn't start feeling bad until later that evening. Erin said she kept kicking Shannon as hard as she could all night (they share a bed) , she didn't like the way she was breathing. Had she known she was running a fever she may have been a little more sympathetic. Shannon still can't swallow pills. She takes 4 teaspoons of liquid advil. Now that she is 14 she no longer has dosage instructions on the package. We just have to wing it.

I had to take Dave to urgent care tonight. He got a big splinter in his finger yesterday and it was too deep to dig out. The nurse tried to talk him into a tetanus shot but he would have no part of that. The doctor numbed his finger and dug out the splinter. I actually enjoyed watching my tough guy husband crumble at the sight of that little needle. I reminded him that the epidural needle that I have encountered many times was much worse and that he would be just fine. The splinter was actually pretty big, they prescribed an antibiotic and wrapped up his finger. The doctor made him get a tetanus shot despite his protests and we were on our way. Of course he doesn't think he will be able to put up Christmas lights now in his weakened condition. St. Anthony was beheaded this morning in a fight over the front seat, all he had was a little splinter, I'm sure he will be just fine.

No comments: